Monday, May 24, 2010

bleargh

My little bit of sick turned into a full-on sick. I made it through the first couple of classes with some croaking and a lot of water, and then I figured I'd power through the afternoon, but Oscar basically sent me home, and I won't be working tomorrow either. I feel bad for the kids, especially since I'm starting to develop a vague idea of what I'm doing, but it's hard to conduct a speaking class (especially a rowdy one) when my voice doesn't work.

I've got nose congestion and an incoming hacking cough. But for now I get to sleep as much as I need.

This opens up a new vista in the family relationship, though, which is them trying to take care of me, and how I respond to that. They have some ideas of what I need to do to get better, and why I got sick: for the former, stay in bed all day, and for the latter, the change of temperature from my classroom to the teachers' lounge (compounded by not wearing a scarf, and if I walked around without shoes, that would also be culpable).

I resist people taking care of me, and I especially resist someone specifically telling me what to do. So that's interesting.

I'm trying to think of how I could teach aikido at the school. The big problem is a surface to fall on, since proper mats are too expensive, but I think some heavy carpets would do reasonably well, maybe with some layers of carpet foam.

1 comment:

  1. *hug* No one likes to be told what to do...just ask John! When I got sick in Jordan, I just wanted to be left alone but their response seemed to be to constantly talk to me and be in and out of my room every 2 minutes. I did NOT like it.

    Soon I'll be there wanting to be kind to you, and you can enjoy that internal resistance in a different relationship context. Something to look forward to! :-)

    ReplyDelete