Sunday, June 27, 2010

haircuts

We've heard repeatedly not to let Chileans cut our hair: we'd end up with a mullet or some other horrifying 80s artifact. John in Calama has decided not to cut his hair in Chile at all, describing the haircuts as "expensive and terrible, at best."

Now, I've had two haircuts here in Valparaiso: one was CH$2500 (less than US$5), and the other was CH$1900 (less than US$4), and the barber/stylist asked what I wanted, I told them, and they gave it to me, and I got haircuts identical to what I would get back home. Obviously, that's neither expensive nor terrible.

The only worthwhile caveats I can think of are that (1) I'm in civilization here in Valparaiso, and (2) all the warnings have come from either women, or men with long hair. I know that women's hair in particular requires this complicated treatment, where they need to go pay some multiple of $50, possibly driving an hour or more to just the right person, so it looks right and grows out well over the coming 3-6 months, mumble mumble mumble.

Current and former volunteers all talk about the dangers of getting a mullet from a Chilean barber. But seriously, how out of touch do you have to be for a barber to give you a mullet without you realizing it? If you don't like what they're doing, tell them to stop. I don't get it.



No comments:

Post a Comment