I'm especially cranky because, as I suspected, I really wanted to work there. Hip company, great environment, cool people, interesting work, across the street from the Caltrain station, giving a 25-minute commute on public transit.
In the meantime, I have to continue to be present and engaged:
- I had a phone call today for the Santa Clara company.
- In Mountain View I have a 3-hour interview tomorrow...
- ...and another hour on Friday, for the guy who works from home on Thursdays.
- Monday is 5 hours in San Francisco.
- Tuesday is 6 hours in Santa Clara.
- There's probably an opportunity with a friend's tiny company in San Francisco, which is really tempting, but they don't actually have an office yet and it could easily end up in an untenable location.
For the past couple of years my life has been a bunch of huge changes either in-progress or in-waiting: planning to go to Chile, getting unexpectedly laid off, waiting to go to Chile, coming home. Now I need to find a job, and then we'll need to move into a bigger place. I'd hoped that this week I might finally get one thing settled, and in a pretty optimal way.
Not yet, apparently.
I don't want to overstate things. It sucks, and I'm angry and disappointed and annoyed. Today I also got to catch up with a couple of good friends, and have some nice time with Anna and J. In a few weeks we're visiting my family back East. I'm not angry about those things. Just...RAR, with the job nonsense.