Wednesday, June 29, 2016

an enabling technology.

My new-found ability to accumulate–"hoard" wouldn't be too far wrong–library e-books, in a private collection free of return dates, has fed my lifelong habit of reading a dozen books at once. I've only met a handful of other people who do this, and I appreciate why it's not common. For those of us who do it, it is our mood and setting that dictate what books we want to dip into, and in what order. There are occasional books (and series!) that I will chew through without a break, but those are less common.

To look at the books I've finished so far this year (ending with The Fast and the Furriest), it's mostly fiction, because non-fiction just takes longer. (And some of them, like Unnatural Selection, are not exactly sparkling.)

These lists don't count various books I've given up on because they sucked.

Books For Falling Asleep
  • Dog Sense
  • Cat Sense - John Bradshaw
  • Anti-Intellectualism In American Life - Richard Hofstadter
  • Quiet - Susan Cain
  • Moby Dick: or, the White Whale - Herman Melville
  • Cubed - Nikil Saval
  • NeutroTribes - Steve Silberman
  • The Worst Journey in the World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard
  • The Horse, the Wheel, and Language - David W. Anthony
  • A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn
Fiction
  • The Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons
  • The Neutronium Alchemist
  • The Confederation Handbook - Peter F. Hamilton
Books Not For Falling Asleep
  • Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men - Lundy Bancroft
  • Self-Compassion - Kristin Neff
  • Children of the Self-Absorbed - Nina W. Brown
  • The Highly Sensitive Person - Elaine N. Aron
  • 10 Minute Obedience - Amy Dahl
  • The Gifts of Imperfection - Brené Brown
  • Drive - Daniel H. Pink
  • Peopleware - Tom DeMarco
20 books! All of which I carry around in my phone everywhere I go. And this isn't the full full list. I don't really miss the physical paper. Is that a good thing? My best guess is that it's good because I'm reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment