Wednesday, January 24, 2018

happy flu season.

We had a very exciting day today, as J has the flu, and this morning the thermometer reported 106°, so I had not gotten out of bed when the course of the day was set. Happily, since learning about the existence of "urgent care" clinics covered by my insurance, I've managed to avoid the ER. Most medical emergencies aren't actually emergencies, like my various foot or toe fractures, or that time my hand was infected the morning I was driving up to a campout party. Like, yes, having a throbbing infected wound on my hand was not great, but on the other hand, if I drove most of the way to the party, I could save myself at least 2 hours of time spent in traffic, and then I could find someplace to stop and get antibiotics. If I really have an issue that can't wait long enough for me to get a good night's sleep first, I'll know.

(Notable examples include "crippling gallstone attack" and "aikido accident where my lip gets chomped between my upper and lower teeth.")

California has been having an epically bad flu season, bad enough that I got a flu shot, and I've never gotten a flu shot (or, for that matter, the flu). I'll be pretty surprised if neither Anna nor I get it now, despite diligent hand-washing and surface-disinfecting.

Apparently there's also a somewhat lethal canine influenza epidemic that I need to call the vet about.

Life is fragile.

No comments:

Post a Comment