Saturday, March 12, 2016

Philosophy 101.

From May 29, 2015, I've been sharing this with people. The three of us had all come home in the car from something or other, and J told me about something, and I decided it was a boring conversation and I would make it more fun for us.
"Nope. I don't believe it exists."
"Of course it exists!"
"Well, I can't see it, therefore it doesn't exist."
"It still exists even if you can't see it!"
"Really. Someone needs to take a philosophy class. How would I know it exists if I can't see it?"
"Someone else can see it, it still exists."
"Sure, but then it only exists for them, not for anyone else. How would you know?"
"You're being silly."
"Am I? Look at my face."
[examines my face closely. look of wonder.]
"Whoooa you're *not* being silly."
I treasure that moment for a few reasons, not least of which is that J is both cynical, highly intelligent, and autistic, and looks of wonder are hard to come by around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment