Friday, January 27, 2012

blah blah work blah blah awesome blah

My brain is completely full of my job right now. I think that makes me boring at parties--I just got back from one and I'm pretty sure I was boring people--but holy crap, it's just fascinating. I like Fridays because I get to have my one-on-ones with most of my team, who are all incredibly awesome, smart, nice people. They're a joy to just sit down and listen to and talk with, and then I get to find out how their week was with all the stuff I didn't see, and if there's anything I should look into, and if there's something that needs to change, maybe I can't do it immediately but so far I've figured out how to work on it and do it eventually. I get to listen and respond, and especially to do it one person at a time, which is the only way I can do it and have it not be draining.

Basically, it's the end of the week and I get to talk to nice people, one at a time. And barring emergencies, most people have given up on completing anything for the week. It's a good transition to the weekend.

...where my brain is still filled with work. Anna points out that this the first tech job that has fully engaged me in the time we've been together, and I'd say it's the first such period since 2006 or so. And I'm good at it. The job fits me in a way no job has in a long time. It's not just me: I've been told as much by people around me. It's not that I should have been a tech lead before; more that this is a confluence of me and a team and a company and projects to produce a situation where I'm the right choice to do the thing.

At least, we all think and hope so. I've never actually done this before. First time for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment