Friday, December 9, 2011

surfacing!

Wednesday night I went to the local YMCA, which we joined a while back. It turns out that compared to an unlit, cold running route full of traffic lights, a treadmill is just fine.

I'm working a fair bit, trying to give work its due after a few months of non-work chaos. That's going well, although our system has been in meltdown for a few weeks. I feel like I should be able to fix it, but I actually can't, and it's hard to let go of that and go write code for the new and improved version, instead of trying to get the current version working. It's a terrible time for our team lead to be quitting: the boss thinks we can hire a replacement before the end of the year, which means I'll consider us lucky to find someone before March (he's often a little optimistic about hiring, and in general, hiring mostly stops during the holidays). My fellow SREs voiced my fears by pointing out that when the team lead leaves, one natural choice for at least an interim team lead would be the other senior engineer, which is...me. I hate meetings and I don't know anything about video, but hey, it could work.

Married life is going well in Week 5, its cold iron grip generously offset with snuggles and head-petting. Ain't nothing boring about it, that's for sure.

Hanukkah is coming! Have some cute Jewish boys singing excellent a cappella:


The best part for me is that the description says, "Feat. Big Bang Theory's Mayim Bialik!", when in fact those of us of a certain age remember that Mayim Bialik starred in her own TV series, Blossom. Like most of us, she's much hotter now at age 35 and not dressed in horrible early-90s clothing. Somewhere in there, she got a Ph.D. in neuroscience, which of course makes her even hotter.

No real rain yet! Someday, though.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this video. I've never seen what people do to celebrate Hanukkah (not that this video is necessarily depicting what people actually do on Hanukkah) nor known much about the holiday other than the idea that you get 8 nights of presents instead of just one. Also, the lyrics seem to describe what I've understood to be true of Judaism: persistence through struggle, community, acceptance (hmmm, that sounds awfully similar to zen...).
    Anyway, it was a nice alternative to what I've had in the past: that thing that those other people celebrate. Thank you (and thanks for the 80's TV reference too- she really HAS aged well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was around for one night of Hanukkah at a friend's house when I was a kid, but that was it. At some point I got frustrated with my complete ignorance about Judaism, so I bought Essential Judaism by George Robinson. If I remember right, he's Jewish, but wrote the book to remedy his complete ignorance about Judaism. It's a thick book, but an easy and fun read.

    ReplyDelete