Thursday, August 4, 2016

names

[This is an old post from Chile, and I don't know why I never published it. Looks like I started writing it on August 25, 2010.]

Occasionally a student gets a little huffy that I don't remember her name. (It's always a girl, I assume because I'm a cute guy and being huffy is what 15-year old girls do. Anna says it's because they all have crushes on me.) They also complain that I have an easier time remembering the boys. I explain that not only do I have 270 students, who I see an hour a week or less, but there are fewer boys (about 5:1 in my classes), and they have a wider variety of names. Most of my girls (black hair and dark brown eyes, with a handful of exceptions) are named:

Daritza
Yarikza
Deyanira
Yanira
Danila
Daniela

Katina
Karina (3 in one class)
Katarina
Katalina
Katherine
Camila (4 in one class)

Javiera (3 in one class)


Mariela
Mariana
María
María José
María Paz
Maripaz
Marisol

Consuela
Consuelo
Constanza

Valery
Valeria

Francisca
Francis

Helen
Allen
Hellen

And Helen and Hellen get annoyed when I pronounce their names wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment